NDC Clears Peter Obi For 2027 Presidential Primary


Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ahead of the 2027 general election, marking a fresh twist in Nigeria’s evolving opposition political landscape.
Obi’s clearance was announced by the Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, in a video released on the party’s official X account on Wednesday, following a screening exercise held in Abuja on Tuesday.
Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.
Reacting through his official X account, Obi said the screening session lasted more than two and a half hours, during which his academic records, NYSC documentation, and age declarations were reviewed in detail.
“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations,” he said.
He added that he also fielded questions on his governance agenda and vision for national reform.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now,” Obi said.
Obi confirmed that he had been cleared and formally issued the nomination form he previously paid for.
“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.
He commended the screening committee and party leadership for what he described as a transparent and credible exercise.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.
The development comes amid widening political realignments and early manoeuvring among opposition blocs ahead of the 2027 general election, as parties prepare for primaries and potential coalition negotiations.



